Science (except “D” requirement): Same tests and results as listed under “D” above The courses you take to meet the occupational requirement must be certified by UC as meeting the requirement and included in your school`s list of UC certified courses. Visit the A-G course listing page — a database of UC certified course listings in California schools — to see if your courses are UC approved. Three semesters (4 trimesters) of non-transferable college courses in elementary algebra, geometry, mean algebra or trigonometry, with a grade of C or better, meet a year of mathematical requirement. One year (two semesters) of specific elective courses (G) or courses that go beyond those used to meet the requirements of A-F subjects. World History/Cultures/Geography: Grade of C or better in a transferable course of 3 semesters or more (4 trimesters or more) Units in World History, Cultures and Geography Four years of English preparatory to college that involve frequent writing, brainstorming to thesis, as well as reading classical and modern literature. No more than one year of English as a Second Language courses can be used to meet this requirement. History of the United States: Grade of C or better in a transferable course of 3 or more semester units (4 or more trimesters) in the history of the United States; Grade of C or better in a transferable course of 3 semesters or more (4 trimesters or more) units in Civics or U.S. Government meets one semester of the requirement. Grade C or better in each transferable course of 3 semesters (4 trimesters) units that clearly fall into one of the four disciplines of the visual/performing arts: dance, theatre/theatre, music or visual arts The ninth year is important as your ninth years can count towards the requirements of the college course. For example, to get the four years of English you need to apply to CSU or UC schools, you will need to learn English in the ninth grade.

In addition, the ninth grade classes prepare you for higher courses, not to mention graduation certificates. Grade C or higher in transferable college courses of at least 3 semesters (4 trimesters) units that go beyond those listed above to meet one of the “A-F” requirements. Two years or the equivalent of the 2nd level of secondary education in the same language other than English is required. (Three years/3. Recommended secondary education). Courses should emphasize speaking and comprehension and include lessons in grammar, vocabulary, reading, composition and culture. American Sign Language and classical languages such as Latin and Greek are acceptable, as are Native American languages. Courses taken in grades seven and eight may be used to meet some or all of the requirement if the high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses.

A: That`s right. CPUs and CSUs, for example, only count grades from your A-G courses and only from your second and younger years. The grades you earned in the first year of study don`t count towards your GPA for CUs and CSUs, although you still need to receive at least a C- to receive credits for first-semester courses. Some colleges also give an extra point for Honors, GATE, AP, or IB courses, so your GPA for university admissions may be a little different from the GPA on your transcript. A: The degree requirements are not the same as the college requirements. Usually, you can graduate from high school, but there are a few courses missing to meet the A-G requirements. Graduation requirements may include courses that colleges don`t care about, such as physical education or health. One of the most important things to remember is that while many high schools consider a D to be a successful grade for graduation, UCs and CSUs do not. A class must be passed with a C or better for a CPU or CSU to count it. NOTE: All students must take a geometry course or integrated mathematics with geometry content. A transferable college course will not meet the full three-year requirement in mathematics. Four years of preparatory English for college that integrates reading classical and modern literature, frequent and regular writing, and the practice of listening and speaking.

A year selected from “a-f” courses that go beyond those used to meet the above requirements, or from courses approved exclusively in the elective field. *Admission requirements for UC and CSU are not limited to course completion and are subject to change without notice. Keep in mind that taking approved high school (A-G) courses is not the only way to meet these requirements. You can also meet them by taking university courses or by getting certain scores on various acceptable exams.